Objectives of the roundtable
During the last sessions organised by Eurofi on the diversity of business models, a consensus was reached between industry and public policy makers that:
- The variety of banking business models, provided they are viable and sustainable (i.e. profitable and resilient), is an asset to ensure financial stability in Europe and to meet the different financing needs of economic agents within the EU.
- The fundamental objective of supervisors, and of the SSM in particular – is to analyse the risks that banks take, and whether the institutions are properly managed.
- Regulators and supervisors should be neutral with respect to the business model organization. Business models are already supervised based on proportionality and an individual assessment.
The objective of this session is to discuss how to ensure the sustainability of diverse business models in Europe, first by examining how to better reflect this diversity in the European regulatory and supervisory framework. The panel will then invite the speakers to express their views on the potential impact of digitalisation on this diversity.
Points of discussion
- How to maintain access to bank financing for economic agents in all EU territories and avoid the exclusion of small businesses, local governments, and individuals located in non-urban areas from banking services?
- What are the challenges and consequences that innovation and digital transformation might pose to the diversity of banking business models?